Makes 7 portions (approx. 250g each)
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and cut into wedges
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 × 400g tins cherry tomatoes in juice
- 2 × 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed (240g drained weight)
- 460g jar roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped (350g drained weight)
- 200g baby spinach
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large dry saucepan over a medium-high heat. Once hot, lay the onion wedges in the pan, flat-side down, and allow them to brown. When the edges are charred, remove from the heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Stir well, then add the garlic and return to a low heat. Add the salt and stir well.
Add the paprika, oregano and tinned tomatoes, then turn the heat up to medium, add the chickpeas and peppers, and give it all a good stir. Cover with a lid, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
Stir through the spinach, a handful at a time, then taste for seasoning and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve straight away or cool and divide into 7 sealable bags or containers and freeze.