Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 55 minutes
- 1 cup of raw buckwheat groats
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed and patted dry with a tea towel
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- Red cabbage or lettuce, shredded
- Handful of salad leaves
- Avocado, sliced
- A pinch of garlic powder
- A pinch of cayenne
- A pinch of cumin
- 1 cup of hummus (if store bought double-check that it’s gluten free)
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; spread your sweet potatoes out on the first tray, drizzling with olive oil and sea salt and toss until coated.
- Spread your chickpeas out on the second baking sheet, discarding any loose skins. Drizzle with oil, sea salt and spices and toss until coated.
- Roast your sweet potatoes and chickpeas for 15 minutes. Flip your sweet potatoes and roll around the chickpeas to ensure an even spread and replace in the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes (keep an eye on them to check that they’re not under or overcooked). The chickpeas should be golden and the sweet potatoes slightly caramelised and tender.
- At the same time, you should be cooking your buckwheat groats. Heat a large pan and add the buckwheat; let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes whilst stirring frequently. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then cover it, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 to 12 more minutes. Fluff them up using a fork.
- Leave your ingredients to cool. To assemblethese line your bowls with salad, then in sections top with the buckwheat, chickpeas, sweet potato, hummus and shredded veg.