This comforting winter casserole is easy to prepare in advance and save for weeknight dinners when you’re short for time
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ready In: 55 minutes
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Salt
- Black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 2 cups black beans, cooked or canned
- 1 cup garlic sauce (see instructions below)
- 2 slices of gluten free sourdough bread
- Rinse your buckwheat groats, then dry roast in a pan for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 3 cups of water to the pan, cover and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 10 – 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350F and roast your sweet potato for 25 minutes with sage and olive oil.
- Use a blender to make bread crumbs from your sourdough bread. Fry in a pan with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer your roasted sweet potatoes, buckwheat groats and kale to a baking dish and top with your breadcrumbs.
- Bake for ten more minutes and serve with garlic sauce (see below).
For the homemade roasted garlic sauce:
- 2 heads roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons milk (unsweetened almond works well)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Blend ingredients together.